Answers to questions regarding Field Experience & COVID-19

Field Experience & COVID-19 FAQ More

Current Students

Future teachers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison are dedicated to teaching all children, seeking social justice through equitable educational outcomes.

Program graduates are highly skilled professionals who are prepared to lead efforts to improve educational opportunities in the communities in which they work. As such, these candidates demonstrate their knowledge and skills in five broad standard areas: (1) learner and learning environment, (2) planning, (3) engaging/instructing, (4) assessing, and (5) behaving in professional and ethical ways. Guided by Foundational Knowledge (Content) Standards, programs provide the knowledge and skills needed to meet the Performance Standards. For more information on the UW-Madison Teacher Education Performance Standards and their alignment with the Wisconsin DPI Teacher Standards please see here.

State standards for educators addressed through courses and field experiences in our educator preparation courses.  Click on specific Teacher, Administrator, and Pupil Services programs for information on how standards are met.

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Teacher Education Programs - Coverage of Standards

  1. Art Education (undergraduate program)
  2. Elementary Education (undergraduate program)
    • Regular Education (Early Childhood) & English as a Second Language
    • Regular Education (Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence) & English as a Second Language
    • Regular Education (Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence) with a Content Focus
  3. Elementary Education & Special Education (undergraduate dual major program)
    • Regular Education (Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence)
    • Special Education (Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence)
  4. Instructional Library Media Specialist (graduate program)
  5. Music Education (undergraduate program)
    • General Music
    • Choral Music
    • Instrumental Music
  6. Physical Education (undergraduate program)
  7. Secondary Education (graduate program)
    • English & English as a Second Language
    • Mathematics & English as a Second Language
    • Science & English as a Second Language
      • Broad Field, Biology/Life, Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science & Space, Environmental
    • Social Studies & English as a Second Language
      • Broad Field, Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology (supplemental), Economics
  8. Special Education (Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence & Early Adolescence-Adolescence)
  9. Speech Language Pathologist (graduate program)
  10. World Languages Education (undergraduate)
    • Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese

Administrator Programs - Coverage of Standards

  1. Director of Instruction (graduate program)
  2. Director of Special Education and Pupil Services (graduate program)
  3. Principal (graduate program)
  4. Reading Specialist (graduate program)
  5. Superintendent (graduate program)

Pupil Services Programs - Coverage of Standards

  1. School Counselor (graduate program) *Closed to new admissions
  2. School Nurse (graduate program)
  3. School Psychologist (graduate program)
  4. School Social Worker (graduate program)

You’ve decided to pursue your education at UW–Madison and become a teacher. Soon, you will make a difference in students’ lives every day. We want to make a difference in yours. At the UW–Madison School of Education Teacher Education Center, we can help you navigate the process of becoming a teacher and give you the tools you need to be successful in your academic journey – as well as your professional career after you graduate. Below are some of the resources you may need along the way.

Required Assessment Supports

Teacher Education Center staff are here to help throughout the process of completing and preparing for standardized teacher education assessments in whatever way works best!  Contact Kelly Hayek at either or 608-262-4602 for more information about our edTPA or WFORT supports, or to schedule a one-on-one meeting at any time!

Educator Licensing

IMPORTANT: The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) utilizes an electronic licensing application system. Paper applications are no longer accepted. Please refer to the DPI website for information related to this process.

UW-Madison School of Education contact: Mitchell Patton, 608-262-5630, Education Academic Services, 139 Education, 1000 Bascom Mall, Madison, WI 53706.

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Requesting Endorsement Upon Program Completion

The Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system requires that the UW-Madison School of Education notify the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) of your endorsement for licensure before you apply for your teaching license.  A Bachelor’s degree is required for licensure; therefore, teacher candidates who are earning their first Bachelor’s degree cannot be endorsed until after their degree has been posted.  In addition to the Bachelor’s degree requirement, you must also successfully complete all of your teacher education program requirements – which includes successful completion of required assessments and a full semester of full-time student teaching.  As soon as these steps are completed, your program will notify the Teacher Education Center that you are ready to be endorsed. Once we have given DPI our endorsement for your license(s), you can complete the application online at any time. To ensure that your endorsement is sent to DPI, please complete the License Endorsement Request online before the end of your last semester of coursework at UW-Madison. This procedure should take less than 5 minutes.

Finger Printing Requirements

The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) requires the applicant to submit fingerprints when applying for a license if the applicant has worked, resided, or physically attended classes in any of the locations listed below within the last twenty years (afer age 17):

  • U.S. states other than Wisconsin
  • Listed U.S. territories (American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, or Virgin Islands)
  • Canada
  • Great Britain (England, Scotland, or Wales)
  • Applicants, who since their most recent submission of fingerprints to DPI have worked, resided, or physically attended classes in any locations listed above.
  • Applicants who provide an address on their application that is in any of the locations listed above.

DPI also has an interactive Fingerprint Decision Tree if you have any additional questions.

Educator Licensing Online (ELO) Application Steps

Even though you notify us of your intent to be licensed in the State of Wisconsin, you must still complete the steps below for DPI to issue you a license.

Before you can apply for your license through ELO, you will need to obtain a WAMS ID. DPI has provided a Guide to Creating a WAMS ID. When creating this ID, use an email address that you will be using for some time since DPI will use that email address to contact you in the future. Remember that your UW-Madison email address will be deactivated shortly after graduation.

Once you have your WAMS ID, you can access the ELO system. Check the relevant application tips on the ELO launch page and the List of Supplementary Forms to see if you need any items to complete your application. Once you have all the necessary information available, you may begin your application by clicking on the ELO launch page link above.

If you are applying for your first license in a given subject or position, choose the “Initial License” application, even if you have been licensed in Wisconsin before in another subject or position. Once you have entered your personal information and the information for your program at UW-Madison, the system should display the licenses for which you have been endorsed. If you do not see all the correct licenses at this point, DO NOT CONTINUE. Save what you have done and contact Mitchell Patton at Education Academic Services to get the information corrected.

Once you begin the conduct and competency section of the application you must complete it before you exit the system. DPI estimates that the total time to complete an application in the system will be less than 40 minutes.

Pre-Approval & Program Verification Letters

You can receive a pre-approval letter once you have enrolled in coursework that will complete the requirements for a licensing program. This letter states that you are currently finishing up the course requirements of your licensing program; it can be used in your job search until your license is processed. If you would like to receive a pre-approval letter, please complete the Pre-Approval Letter Request online.

Program verification letters can only be issued once all requirements have been completed and your information has been submitted to DPI for licensure. Follow the Pre-Approval Letter Request link above if you need a verification letter while your license is being processed by DPI.

Applying for a license in another state

If you are planning to apply for a license in a state other than Wisconsin, you will need to check the application requirements of that state. The University of Kentucky has a website that provides links to teacher licensing agencies in all 50 states plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.

Most states have a verification form that needs to be signed by a UW-Madison certification officer. This form verifies that you have completed a state-approved licensure program. These forms should be sent to the Teacher Education Center (Teacher Education Center) to be completed. Send form via email to: If the form requests information about your practicum and student teaching assignments (names of schools, grade levels, dates, etc.), please complete this information before sending the form to the Teacher Education Center.

We highly recommend you get your Wisconsin teaching license even if you plan to teach in another state.


School of Education Resources

The Career Center is committed to supporting the lifelong career development and success of the School of Education students and alumni.  The Career Center provides career exploration resources, assistance with job and graduate school searches and applications, interviewing workshops, and job placement opportunities through job fairs.

Cooperative Children’s Book Center (CCBC), is a unique and vital gathering place for books, ideas, and expertise in the field of children’s and young adult literature. The CCBC is a non-circulating examination, study, and research library for Wisconsin school and public librarians, teachers, early childhood care providers, university students, and others interested in children’s and young adult literature.

Office of Child Care and Family Resources, promotes the academic and professional goals of the University of Wisconsin community through the administration of early education and family support programs.

Student Diversity Programs Office

Media Education Resources and Information Technology Center (MERIT) is a library and technology service unit that serves community partners and the UW-Madison School of Education. MERIT provides check-out of books and classroom materials. They also offer laptops and other digital equipment check-out, such as camcorders & tripods for the edTPA. MERIT also offers reservable spaces, computer labs, and quiet study rooms, as well as a laminator and color and large-format printing.

UW-Madison Resources

UW–Madison offers campuswide tutoring supports through our Undergraduate Advising, as well as through the Greater University Tutoring Service.

McBurney Disability Resource Center is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive educational experience for our students by providing academic accommodations so our students can engage, explore and participate in the Wisconsin Idea.